The internet is a wonderful resource for artists and illustrators, especially if you know where to look. Here are a list of 10 excellent blogs to check out. They are all packed with information, resources and helpful art lessons.
1. Gurney Journey – http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/ is maintained by Imaginative Realism master James Gurney. James Gurney shares with us his journey in art work, he blogs about a wide variety of topics, all related to the visual world. His blog has also inspired two high recommendable books on how to paint.
2. Muddy Colors – http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/ is an illustration collective by 13 professional artists and illustrators, mainly working in the field of Imaginative Realism and Fantasy, who are all highly successful. They share lessons in both the creation of art, but also the business side as well as a look into their own process when they create.
3. ArtOrder – http://theartorder.com/ was started by Creative Director Jon Schindehette, it grew into its own community that merged with WIPNation and is now also an illustration collective consisting of an impressive selection of authors that represent both collectors, Art Directors, Professionals and students. It is the go-to blog for information on the business of Fantasy Illustration and freelancing. Also if you are dreaming of working for WoTC, this is the place to learn how.
4. Lines and Colors – http://www.linesandcolors.com/ is written by Charley Parker. It showcases artwork from all over the world and throughout history as well. It is a wonderful source of inspiration as well as a brief lesson in art history and a great showcase of current artists and illustrators.
5. Illustration Art – http://illustrationart.blogspot.com/ is written by David Apatoff. The blog is an intriguing mixture of art history and intellect. David Apatoff offer his opinion of various illustrators from history and also sparks a long discussion from his loyal followers. The comments are as interesting to read as the posts.
8. Giuseppe Castellano – http://www.gcastellano.com/ is a blog by the Art Director of the Penguin Random House imprint Grosset & Dunlap. If you want #arttips straight from the art director Giuseppe is you go-to man. He also maintains a terrific twitter #ArtTips hashtag with good advice for illustrators.
9. Chris Wilson’s Blog – http://chriswilsonstudio.com/blog/ Though more of a Fine Artist Chris Wilson’s blog offers solid advice on the business of selling and promoting your artwork. He also has a fantastic newsletter that’s worth subscribing to.
10. Social Media Examiner – http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/ Although this blog isn’t art specific, it’s a gold mine for information on how to optimize your social media which can really boost the eyes you get on your artwork.
As a bonus also check out Academy of Art and Creature Design – http://characterdesignnotes.blogspot.com/ Although it is no longer updated, it does have a wealth of information and resources on creature and character design.
That is all for now, what is your favourite art blog? Did I leave any out you find to be a must-read? Let me know in the comments!